Subject: History & Overview
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18867      Publish Date : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Visit : 7293 

History & Overview 

History and Overview 
This is an Introduction of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences 

History and Overview of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

Administrative Building of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS) was established in 1946 as
the Behdari Higher Health Education Center (also known as Amouzeshgah-e
Alee Behdariye Shiraz) to educate medical experts within four years. In
1949, the facility developed into a medical school which was later
governed by Shiraz University-formerly known as Pahlavi University- in
1954. Seven other schools, including the School of Nursing and
Midwifery, the School of Dentistry, the School of Nutrition and Food
Sciences, the School of Health, the School of Paramedical Sciences, the
School of Pharmacy, and the School of Rehabilitation Sciences, were
also established in Shiraz
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz>  within a
brief period to train students in various fields allied to medicine.

Complying with Iran’s policy and following the establishment of the
Ministry of Health, Treatment, and Medical Education, all medical
schools and related disciplines were separated from the Ministry of
Sciences, and they began operating under the supervision of the newly
established ministry. Therefore, these schools changed into new
entities and formed independent medical universities in each province.
Consequently, the School of Medicine and the other abovementioned
schools at Shiraz University created Fars University of Medical
Sciences in 1994. In that time, Fars University of Medical Sciences was
the only medical school in Fars province and was in charge of providing
medical education and healthcare services in public facilities, as well
as supervising private healthcare providers throughout Fars province;
therefore, following the establishment of other medical schools * in
this province, Fars University of Medical Sciences was renamed Shiraz
University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), which is still operating under
this name. SUMS currently comprises 17 schools, 55 research centers,
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18719/Research-at-SUMS>  6 incubators
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18833/Incubators-and-Accelerators> ,
45 public hospitals
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS>
(including 14 teaching hospitals
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS> ), 2
community health centers in Shiraz
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS>  **
, 28 health networks
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS>
*** throughout Fars province. 17 private hospitals
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS>
(including 3 charity hospitals
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS> ) in
Shiraz are also providing services under the supervision of SUMS.

SUMS is famed for its transformative learning experiences and
distinctive learning environment for undergraduate and graduate
students partly due to its diversity of programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18422/Programs-A-Z> ,
including 51 master’s
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18459/Master-s> , 39 Ph.D.
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18429/Ph-D->  by coursework
and dissertation, 16 Ph.D. by research
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18429/Ph-D-> , 32 specialty
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18435/Specialty> , 21
subspecialty
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18426/Subspecialty> , and
32 fellowship programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18427/Fellowship> , as well
as a tentative list of academic short-term training
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18315/Short-Term-Training-Programs>
programs. Thus, covering a vast scope of aspirations, abilities, and
interests, the SUMS community encompasses over 1000 permanent faculty
members, 35,000 staff members, and 10,000 students, residents, and
fellows.

SUMS practical knowledge and expertise have reputed the University in
the region and positioned it, particularly as the major hub for the
following scientific areas:

*	Liver Transplantation (major hub in the Middle East)
*	Clinical Immunology (major hub in Iran)
*	Clinical Microbiology (major hub in Iran)
*	Advanced Electronic Education (major hub in Iran)

SUMS is also known as one of the leading centers for cochlear
implantation nationwide and for other advanced treatments in the Middle
East. As the region’s preeminent destination for health tourism
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18341/Health-Tourism> , SUMS is a
valuable platform adept at the below medical practices:

*	Organ Transplantation (liver, heart, kidney, et cetera)
*	Cochlear Implant
*	Interventional Radiology
*	Minimally Invasive Surgeries (Laparoscopy)
*	Bone Marrow Transplantation
*	Surgical and Interventional Cardiology Procedures
*	Ophthalmic Surgical Procedures
*	Interventional Urology
*	Interventional Oncology
*	Interventional and Surgical Orthopedics
*	Interventional Thoracic Surgery
*	Interventional Infertility Treatment
*	Coronary Angiography
*	Hepatic Angiography 
*	Cancer Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy
*	Orthopedic Surgeries Fetal Surgery
*	Treatment of Infertility employing IVF Technology
*	Spine Surgery Neurosurgery Procedures
*	Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
*	Advanced Electronic Learning
*	Clinical Immunology
*	Clinical Microbiology
*	And many others.

Notes

  _____  

 * Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, Fasa University of Medical
Sciences, Larestan University of Medical Sciences, and Gerash
University of Medical Sciences

** These health centers are responsible to supervise rural and urban
comprehensive health services centers, health posts, and health houses
in Shiraz.

*** SUMS Health Networks are located in twenty-eight cities in Fars
province (each of these cities has one health network), and each
supervises hospitals, urban and rural comprehensive health services
centers, health posts, and health houses throughout the county where
they are located.

 

For more information please check the links below:

Discovering Shiraz
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz> 

Why SUMS <http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18308/Why-SUMS>