Subject: University Profile
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18881      Publish Date : Saturday, August 19, 2023 Visit : 5346 

University Profile 

University Profile 

SUMS Profile (2022-2023)

Location

Students

Academics

Top Rankings

International Relations

Publications

Facilities

Athletics Program

Significant Achievements & Awards

Although much of what is superlative about Shiraz University of Medical
Sciences <https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18867/About-SUMS>  (SUMS)
cannot be ranked, these statistics and information present SUMS,
concisely.

Location

SUMS is located in Shiraz, Fars province*, Iran. View SUMS location
here
<https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/embed?mid=1HgMuUNCAVy5le4g-Nz_oPfsmIN
YIGuA&ehbc=2E312F> .

* Fars province is located at the south west of Iran and is divide into
thirty-seven counties. The healthcare system at Fars province is
managed by five medical universities; that is, Shiraz University of
Medical Sciences, Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, Fasa
University of Medical Sciences, Larestan University of Medical
Sciences, and Gerash University of Medical Sciences. Each university is
in charge of the healthcare system at its appointed counties.

Students

Number of Students (Including International Students)

*	6721 Undergraduate Students
*	85 Associate Students
*	2944 Bachelor’s Students
*	988 Master’s Students
*	557 MPH Students
*	3692 M.D., D.M.D., and Pharm.D. Students
*	3277 Graduate Students
*	1022 Specialty Students
*	103 Subspecialty Students
*	502 Ph.D. Students
*	105 Fellowship Students

 	 	  	 
 	 Total: 9998	 

 

Academics

Programs

*	41 Undergraduate Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18424/Undergraduate> 
*	2 Associate Programs
*	35 Bachelor’s Programs
*	 M.B.B.S. Program
*	 M.D. Program
*	 D.M.D. Program
*	 Pharm.D. Program
*	188 Graduate Programs 

	*	52 Master’s Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18459/Master-s> 
	*	46 Ph.D. Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18429/Ph-D-> 
	*	32 Specialty Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18435/Specialty> 
	*	21 Subspecialty Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18426/Subspecialty> 
	*	34 Fellowship Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/UniversityStudy/18427/Fellowship> 
	*	3 M.P.H. Programs

*	Numerous Short-Term Training Programs
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18315/Short-Term-Training-Programs> 
*	A Multitude of Elective Programs (medical internships
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18316/Visiting-Medical-Electives--Inter
nships-> , residency
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18630/Visiting-Specialty-and-Subspecial
ty--Residency--Elective-Programs> , pharmacy and pharmaceutical
internship
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18629/Visiting-Pharmacy-and-Pharmaceuti
cal-Electives--Internships-> )

Popular Fields

Most undergraduate students choose SUMS for our prestigious M.D.,
D.M.D., and Pharm.D. programs, and a large number of our graduate
students are eager to gain knowledge and expertise in the fields of
organ transplant, bone marrow transplant, cochlear implant, minimally
invasive surgeries, obstetrics and gynecology, ophthalmology, and
dermatology.   

Class Size

SUMS has built a student community of almost 10,000 people; therefore,
students here encounter classes of all sizes. However, the average
class sizes remain small, especially during clinical trainings, so as
to enhance teachers and students interaction.   

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 10:1

Faculty Members

Faculty Members by Rank

Faculty Members by Rank

196 Professors (20%)

269 Associate Professors (27%)

495 Assistant Professors (50%)

31 Instructors (3%)

Total: 991

 

 

 

Top Rankings

QS World University Rankings

451–500 in Medicine

In Iran (Medical Universities)

Among the top 5

You can view a complete report of SUMS ranking here
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18642/Ranking-Report> .

International Relations

22 International Contracts and MOUs

Publications

*	21 International  Scientific Journals
*	4592 Other Scientific Publications

Facilities

Teaching and Research Facilities

*	17 Schools
*	 55 Research Centers
*	 6 Incubators
*	14 Teaching Hospitals

Healthcare Facilities

    SUMS Affiliated Hospitals and Clinics

*	14 Teaching Hospitals
*	31 Non-Teaching Public Hospitals
*	6 Public Clinics

Hospitals and Clinics (Located in Shiraz) Supervised by SUMS

    Hospitals

*	14 Private Hospitals
*	3 Charity Hospitals
*	7 Miscellaneous Hospitals (hospitals affiliated with government
and non-government organizations and foundations)

    Clinics

*	230 Private Clinics
*	19 Charity Clinics
*	22 Miscellaneous Clinics (clinics affiliated with government
and non-government organizations and foundations)

 2 Health Centers **  in Shiraz

 28 Health Networks *** (located throughout 28 counties of Fars
province)

** These health centers are responsible to supervise rural and urban
comprehensive health services centers, health posts, and health houses
in Shiraz.

*** SUMS Health Networks are located in twenty-eight counties in Fars
province (each of these cities has one health network), and each
supervises hospitals, urban and rural comprehensive health services
centers, health posts, and health houses throughout the county where
they are located.

Campuses and Facilities

*	 Undergraduate Student Housing
*	 Libraries
*	 Study Areas
*	Research Laboratories
*	Sports Complexes
*	Common Spaces
*	Free Computer Pools
*	Dining Halls

Athletics Program

30 men’s sports and 24 women’s sports

Significant Achievements & Awards 

*	Performing the world’s first beating-heart tricuspid valve
replacement grafting tissue from the patient’s heart (2023).
*	Receiving the Special Award for inventing the under-the-head
suction ventilation system in dental units from the Interactive College
of Technology, USA, at the INNOVERSE Innovation & Invention Expo (2022).
*	Inventing P28-Vpr chimeric protein with anticancer properties
(2022).
*	Producing Central Venous Catheterization Simulator (2022).
*	Developing the Little Hero Maze Game and Little Hero Speech
Game (2022): The games are specifically designed for children with
developmental disabilities (autism spectrum disorder, speech delay,
cerebral palsy, etc.) as a rehabilitation tool to help children improve
their comprehension and speaking skills; however, any child can play
the games.

  _____  

Useful Links

Healthcare System at SUMS
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18752/Health-Care-System-at-SUMS> 

Why SUMS <https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18308/Why-SUMS> 

Discovering Shiraz
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18301/Discovering-Shiraz> 

SUMS Admissions Guidelines
<https://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18318/Admissions-Guidelines>