Subject: Visiting Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency) Elective Programs
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18630      Publish Date : Tuesday, December 24, 2019 Visit :
17423 

Non-Degree Programs | Visiting Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency)
Elective Programs 

Visiting Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency) Elective Programs 

Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency) Elective Programs

Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency) Elective Programs

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences (SUMS)
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18627/About-SUMS>  is delighted to
announce its unique programs of Specialty and Subspecialty (Residency)
Elective. Within its varied departments, elective resident physicians
receive training through observing ground rounds and medical practices
done by SUMS key stakeholders in the field. Moreover, diverse patient
population at SUMS teaching facilities will expose the attendees to not
only common medical conditions but also uncommon and rare ones. Thus,
the virtues of doing a specialty/subspecialty elective program at SUMS
include:

*	Getting more references, particularly from people within the
intended discipline
*	Turning into a more prepared resident
*	Achieving a holistic understanding of the issues that
contribute to ill health and disease
*	engagement with a diverse community of patients
*	Cultural immersion and an appreciation of diversity and
multiculturalism
*	Gaining the knowledge to manage patients with a different
constellation of diseases
*	Obtaining a broader understanding of medical illnesses by
encountering patients with unique diseases
*	Achieving an improved understanding of how a foreign
health-care system works
*	Becoming more introspective as to how medicine is practiced at
home
*	Establishing important professional relationships with health
care providers abroad

As an observer, the students, therefore, can get a wide variety of
experience in medical and surgical cases which can help them to show
their remarkable resourcefulness to deal with cases fraught with
complications.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to be eligible to apply for SUMS Specialty/Subspecialty
Elective Programs, prospective applicants shall meet the conditions
below:

*	The candidate must be a student of specialty/subspecialty
program.
*	Electives are designed for students who have already completed
one full year of in-hospital clinical training prior to an anticipated
elective.
*	The candidate should not be a graduate.
*	The candidate must be enrolled at a non-Iranian University, be
an international student studying in an Iranian university, or be an
Iranian student studying abroad.
*	The candidate should not have any record of academic, clinical
competence, or professionalism issues

Language Proficiency Requirements

The applicants shall fulfill one of the following language proficiency
requirements:

*	TOEFL: minimum score of 69 iBT; 525 PBT
*	IELTS: minimum band score of 5.5
*	Other evidence indicating the applicant’s English proficiency
equivalent to requirements I or II above

However, an applicant who is a native speaker of English or who has
received his/her previous degree from a university where English is the
primary language of instruction is exempted from this requirement.
Those candidates who can demonstrate a well understanding of the
Persian language are also exempted.

Length of Training

2 to 16 weeks

Medium of Instruction

English/Persian

List of SUMS Clinical Departments

Based on the applicants’ specific educational needs and interests, they
can choose among the following departments available to furnish
students with a comprehensive knowledge of the subject concerned:

*	Department of Anesthesiology
*	Department of Cardiology
*	Department of Community Medicine
*	Department of Dermatology
*	Department of Emergency Medicine
*	Department of ENT
*	Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics
*	Department of Internal Medicine
*	Department of Neurology
*	Department of Neurosurgery
*	Department of Nuclear Medicine
*	Department of Ophthalmology
*	Department of Orthopedics
*	Department of Pathology
*	Department of Pediatrics
*	Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
*	Department of Psychiatry
*	Department of Radiology
*	Department of Radiotherapy
*	Department of Surgery

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Expenses

Payment Amount (USD)

Payment Type

Application Fee

None

………

Tuition Fee

625.00

Per four weeks

Accommodation Fee*

400.00

Per month

Health Insurance

75.00

Per month

* Please note that SUMS might supply elective candidates with furnished
residence provided that vacancies are available at SUMS residence
halls. Visiting students will be offered accommodation after they have
paid the determined fee.

Program Requirements

The online application will prompt you to upload a scanned version of
the following documents. Make sure to prepare them ahead of submitting
your application.

*	A photograph
*	A scanned copy of the data page of the passport
*	Curriculum Vitae (CV)/ Résumé
*	Transcript of the records/Marksheets
*	English proficiency certificate or its equivalent
*	Specialty/Subspecialty Elective Application Form (The applicant
should fill out the application form and get it signed and stamped by
the institution at which they are studying)

Application Deadline

SUMS call for application to elective programs is open all year round.
However, candidates are encouraged to apply at least 6 to 8 months
prior to the commencement of the program in order to avoid late visa
issues.

Accepting an Offer

Candidates will be notified of their application results via e-mail.
Offers of elective opportunities will be held open for 8 weeks to be
accepted and confirmed by the admitted candidates. In case we receive
no confirmation of acceptance within the aforementioned time, the
candidate’s name will be removed from the files and the place will be
offered to another applicant. It is therefore substantial that the
successful applicants confirm their acceptance as soon as possible via
e-mail.

Cancellation of an Elective Attachment

If at any time an applicant wishes to withdraw his/her application or
cancel an offer of attachment, this should be done IMMEDIATELY via
e-mail at [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> .

Visa Application

Upon receipt of your admission, you are requested to submit the
following items to SUMS via e-mail so that your visa application
procedure to be initiated:

*	Passport size photo
*	A scanned copy of the data pages of your passport
*	Completed visa application form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/Images/UserFiles/1/file/SUMS%20Visa%20Form.pdf> 

Visa process can take at least 6-8 weeks to complete. Each successful
application is assigned a Visa Reference Number/Authorization Code by
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Iran. You will need the reference
number/authorization code along with your original passport to collect
your visa. Once we receive the reference number/authorization code, we
will forward it to you via e-mail. Then, you should schedule an
appointment with the Iranian Embassy or Consulate in your country that
you have already indicated on your application form
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/Images/UserFiles/1/file/Iran%20Embassies.pdf> .
Carry the obtained Visa Reference Number/Authorization Code together
with your passport to the relevant embassy or consulate to collect your
visa. For further information, see here
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18333/Visa-Affairs> .

Application

See below for the link to apply through our electronic process. All
visiting students must complete the online application. Remember also
to fill out the Specialty/Subspecialty Elective Application Form (see
Program Requirements) prior to commencing SUMS online application
procedure and submit it along with other requisite documents.

 

Click here to apply for SUMS Specialty/Subspecialty Elective Programs:

 

 

To apply to other SUMS Elective programs please check the links below:

Medical Elective (Internship) Programs
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18316/Visiting-Medical-Electives--Intern
ships-> 

Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Elective (Internship) Program
<http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/en/page/18629/Visiting-Pharmacy-and-Pharmaceutic
al-Electives--Internships->