Subject: The First Joint Publication on COVID-19 by SUMS Hematology Research Center and Pediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinic in Ferrara, Italy
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-100      Publish Date : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 Visit :
2954 

NEWS | The First Joint Publication on COVID-19 by SUMS Hematology
Research Center and Pediatric and Adolesc... 

The First Joint Publication on COVID-19 by SUMS Hematology Research
Center and Pediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinic in Ferrara, Italy 
The First Joint Publication on COVID-19 by SUMS Hematology Research
Center and Pediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinic in Ferrara, Italy 

The First Joint Publication on COVID-19 by SUMS Hematology Research
Center and Pediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinic in Ferrara, Italy

 

In collaboration with the researchers of Pediatric and Adolescent
Outpatient Clinic in Ferrara, Italy, a team of researchers at
Hematology Research Center of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
(SUMS) has published the first article on Covid-19 in Iranian patients
with thalassemia.

In this research project, which was conducted to investigate the
prognosis of Covid-19 in patients with beta-thalassemia across the
country, all registered patients were examined.

Dr. Mehran Karimi, SUMS elite professor of Pediatric
Hematology-Oncology, said: "Fortunately, complying with national health
protocols, the number of confirmed positive cases and complications of
Covid-19 among patients with β-thalassemia were low. However, this does
not diminish the necessity of strict adherence to public health
instructions during the Covid-19 pandemic.

He added: "This international collaboration, which has been going on
for a long time between SUMS Hematology Research Center and the Italian
Pediatric and Adolescent Outpatient Clinic, has led to the publication
of many scientific research papers including this one. This article
entitled “Prevalence and Mortality Due to Outbreak of Novel Coronavirus
Disease (COVID-19) in β-Thalassemias: The Nationwide Iranian Experience”
is now published in the prestigious British Journal of Hematology.