Subject: Conjoined Twins Undergo Initial Phase of Separation Surgery at SUMS Namazi Hospital
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-204      Publish Date : Saturday, November 18, 2023 Visit
: 2505 

NEWS | Conjoined Twins Undergo Initial Phase of Separation Surgery at
SUMS Namazi Hospital 

Conjoined Twins Undergo Initial Phase of Separation Surgery at SUMS
Namazi Hospital 
Conjoined Twins Undergo Initial Phase of Separation Surgery at SUMS
Namazi Hospital 

Conjoined Twins Undergo Initial Phase of Separation Surgery at SUMS
Namazi Hospital

 

The initial stage of a surgical procedure to separate conjoined twin
sisters was carried out at SUMS Namazi Hospital. The intricate
operation effectively separated the twins' livers, with a
multidisciplinary team of physicians and surgeons from various
subspecialties of the hospital present.

Leading the procedure was Dr. Ali Bahador, a distinguished pediatric
subspecialty surgeon with extensive experience in separating conjoined
twins. Dr. Bahador noted the shared pancreas between the sisters and
emphasized the need for further analysis to complete the separation
process.

 

Dr. Mehdi Forooghi, another pediatric subspecialty surgeon at Namazi
Hospital, highlighted the complexity of the operation compared to the
previous cases. The twins were connected at multiple organs, including
the liver, intestine, and pancreas. He referred to their young age and
added that further operations can only be performed when they are older
and after extensive analysis.

Notably, Shirazi doctors had previously achieved success in separating
conjoined twins in 2010 and 2013. These children are now living in
normal conditions after about a decade, serving as a testament to the
tireless dedication and professional competence of the teams involved.