Subject: Pioneering Valve Construction Method Claims Top Spot in 2023 CTSNet Innovation Video Competition
From: "http://gsia.sums.ac.ir/"

Shiraz University of Medical Sciences - SUMS 
Code : 18322-205      Publish Date : Tuesday, December 12, 2023 Visit :
1822 

NEWS | Pioneering Valve Construction Method Claims Top Spot in 2023
CTSNet Innovation Video Competition 

Pioneering Valve Construction Method Claims Top Spot in 2023 CTSNet
Innovation Video Competition 
Pioneering Valve Construction Method Claims Top Spot in 2023 CTSNet
Innovation Video Competition 

Pioneering Valve Construction Method Claims Top Spot in 2023 CTSNet
Innovation Video Competition

Tricuspid Valve Replacement with the Right Atrial Appendage Valve, Dr.
Ahmad Ali Amirghofran

The successful implementation of a groundbreaking technique in cardiac
surgery was announced at Shahid Faghihi Hospital of Shiraz University
of Medical Sciences (SUMS). This innovative procedure focuses on
tricuspid valve construction for congenitally malformed or defective
right ventricle outflow tract (RVOT) from the right atrial appendage.

Dr. Ahmad Ali Amirghofran, the Head of Cardiac Surgery Department at
SUMS, highlighted the benefits of this pioneering method, and added
“rather than using artificial or donor tissues, the patient's own heart
tissue is employed in the process, thereby eliminating the side effects
of artificial valves or the risk tissue of rejection”. He referred to
the creation of heart valves from patients own tissues as a long-held
aspiration in the realm of cardiac surgery.

The results of Dr. Amirghofran’ recent study on this innovative
technique have been presented at various scientific forums in Iran and
across the globe. Notably, a video presentation showcasing this
achievement secured the top position in 2023 CTSNet Innovation Video
Competition. This prestigious competition serves to acknowledge
innovative solutions that address cardiothoracic surgical challenges.

Dr. Amirghofran elaborated on the intricacies of this pioneering
approach, maintaining that all phases, from conceptualization to
realization, were executed at SUMS. The surgical teams at Shahid
Faghihi Hospital perform a substantial volume of complex open-heart
surgeries annually, including valve repair, valve replacement, and
coronary artery bypass grafting.